Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Common Stranger

The sky turned dark from the table
as my eyes snapped towards the window.
This type of light was novel
to me. I could sense a figure on the block
and I decided to click
on a flashlight. I started to bite my nail

as the picture on the wall fell. The nail
had come undone. As I stood up, I saw the table
on the computer click
off the screen. I ran over to the window
to look at the lines. The rain attempted to block
my view. I decided to go back my novel.

At least I had the novel
to nail
myself to the couch, away from the block
where the stranger was. The table
I was at was not far from the window.
They could have seen me. Heard the click

of my flashlight. The crickets continued to click
in the night. The unknown was too novel.
I had to face them and look out the window.
I wouldn’t be able to nail
them in the dark. I went back to the table
and attempted to block

out my fear. I couldn’t block
it out. I began to click
my heels together under the table.
I kept looking over at my novel,
prying my eyes away. I picked up the nail
and threw it at the window

as the window
gave a shudder. My block
was normally safe at night. My nail
was almost invisible. The small click
of the streetlamps. My novel
was still sitting on the table

so I stayed at the table, still glancing at the window
as I continued my novel, my mind breaking away from the block.
Because of that subtle click, I no longer had to sooth my mind with the nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment