Thursday, June 11, 2015

Paragraph #3: Inkheart

Quote #1: "But I got one of my maidservants to teach me how to read" (Funke 169).
Quote #2: "Perhaps it's true that death is only the beginning of a new story, but no one has ever read the book in which it's written, and the writer of that book certainly doesn't live in a little village on the coast playing football with his grandchildren" (Funke 275).

But I got one of my maidservants to teach me how to read. There wasn't any need for me to do it when I had the resources to get someone else do it. Why take the extra time when I could be doing other things? Reading was never one of my specialties because the first book that I learned to read scared me out of it. It had a horribly morbid plot that I just couldn't stand. This girl parents had died and ghosts began to haunt her and foretell her own. I never wanted to pick up a book again for fear that I would read something more menacing. I just couldn't stand hearing another story like that and I knew there were so many more out there that could just slip under my fingertips. That's the reason I get others to teach me to read. I mean perhaps it's true that death is only the beginning of a new story, but no one has ever read the book in which it's written, and the writer of that book certainly doesn't live in a little village on the coast playing football with his grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment