Monday, June 1, 2015

Reflection of My Middle/High School Theatre Experience

So, I have been going to School of the Arts three years now and its amazing how far I have come. In 7th grade, I played Michael in Peter Pan, but I had a lot of trouble. I couldn't find room for my work and I would have total breakdowns almost every day. I knew at that point that I wasn't going to be doing another show that year but the one I did do was amazing. I got to fly and did I mention it was my twelfth birthday? It was an experience never to forget.

My 8th grade year, the first show that I was a part of was Shrek the Musical where I played the Elf as well as Grumpy the Dwarf. I was a bit disappointed that I had gotten such ensemble roles but nevertheless, it was still a great show to be a part of. It was very fun and I got to hang out with all of my theatre peeps. The second show that I did that year was The Seussification of Romeo and Juliet where I played Monk Larry as well as Sampson. First off, it was a middle school show and middle school shows are never that well put together. Also, it was horribly written. The concept was basically to take Shakespeare plays and use Dr. Seuss language instead. But besides that, it was really fun. My favorite experience was probably doing a Bronx accent for my character. It was fun to learn the accent and then get praise from my director on its execution.

This year, my Freshman year as SOTA, I was first in The Crucible where I played John Willard, one of the guards at the jail. This was the first drama I had been in and it was very intense. The story that focused on the Salem With Trials was very serious but I think that it was a good change for me since I was able to show off a different side of my acting. I rather enjoyed it. The next show I was in was Annie where I played the Assistant Dog Catcher as well as Ensemble. I wasn't completely thrilled about the characters I was given but I can't stop saying how wonderful it is to be in a performance, especially one with such good songs and a wonderful cast. Although I didn't have a lead, that didn't mean that I didn't do the best that I could possible do because every part is important. The final show I did this school year was The Addams Family where I played Pugsley Addams. This was the best show I have been in at SOTA so far. The cast worked very well together and all the teachers that put it together were amazing. The crew was also spot on and the set looked magnificent. It is the first show that i was in at school when I wasn't too worried during tech week because we really pulled things together. The costumes were exquisite and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. It was a part I truly wanted and I got it which made me very happy.

In the end, I am very pleased with how these past three years have turned out and can't wait for the next one. What I also noticed is that as the years go on, I do one more show per year. Maybe I'll go for four next year, but who knows. Only the future will tell!

1 comment: